Flat - "The most advanced music writing software"

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Flat - "The most advanced music writing software"

Post by OCTO »

Anyone tried that? "The most advanced music writing software", according to them.
https://flat.io

Anyhow, if someone told me 15+ years ago that it will be possible to notate music in a web browser, I would not believe...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
bicinium

Re: Flat - "The most advanced music writing software"

Post by bicinium »

I haven't written music in it but I've worked with some of its scores by exporting to PDF and XML. Full measure rests aren't supported - for example, a piece in 3/4 will have three quarter rests in every empty measure. PDF files are generated without margins and there is no page layout mode in the editor at all. Engraving standards are generally horrendous. It seems to be aimed at bedroom musicians for playing along to pieces they've transcribed. Which is fine; it's cool that there is a web-based music notation program now. But the techy "flat.io" brand and "most advanced" tagline smacks of "overconfident computer scientist meddling in an unfamiliar domain". Right now it strikes me as a toy and hard to get excited about, especially because it's proprietary software.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

bicinium wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 16:13..the techy "flat.io" brand and "most advanced" tagline smacks of "overconfident computer scientist meddling in an unfamiliar domain". Right now it strikes me as a toy and hard to get excited about...
:lol:

Thanks for sharing your review, I was worrying that I have missed something important in music engraving!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I think I remember looking at this some years ago. It's designed as a classroom tool.
HaraldS

Post by HaraldS »

OCTO wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 18:13Anyhow, if someone told me 15+ years ago that it will be possible to notate music in a web browser, I would not believe...
The GUIDO Note Server from University of Darmstadt was and is online since 2001 and is capable of notating music in a web browser.
Finale 3.0-2014.5, german edition, Windows 7
hardware synths/keys, Cubase 7 / trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany