Dorico 3.5 released!

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Dorico 3.5 released!

Post by benwiggy »

Well, they've done it again. A new release of Dorico. This one's a paid update, but at Steinberg's ".5" rate. Mind you, there's nothing half-baked about the features and fixes.

• Pitch-before-duration input
• Smarter, richer VST expression maps for better playback with third-party sample libraries
• Comprehensive figured bass with built-in musical intelligence
• Condensing for divisi strings and section players for wind/concert band
• Easily create parts in different transpositions
• Refined, more beautiful slurs and beams
• Expanded graphical capabilities with editors for horizontal and vertical lines
• Filtering and searching for properties and options
• Refined control over properties across layouts
• Easily hide or show any staff at any break
• New guitar techniques, including vibrato bar dips, scoops, dives, plus hammer-on and pull-off
• Graphic slice tool for exporting small snippets of music in Engrave mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gomvK8yxg8Q

And here's the in-depth Scoring Notes review: https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/dorico-3-5-review
David Ward

Re: Dorico 3.5 released!

Post by David Ward »

If only I wasn't so old (79) I'd now give Dorico a very serious go, but I just feel it would be a distraction (to add to all the others of the time).

I'm almost tempted to give up computer typesetting & return exclusively to the medium in which I'm most naturally fluent: manuscript… Best not, I suppose.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Somewhat similarly, I myself could have used it a lot more 15 years ago or so! ;-)

For the notationalists, there are some welcome improvements to slur and beam handling, and other fixes like breaking ties behind time sigs.

But it's just the sheer wealth of features in only a few months since the last update that is astounding. There's also a very clear incremental direction: continuation lines on objects in 3.0; then a Line Tool in 3.1, then a Line Editor in 3.5.

I've already been playing with the Figured Bass, and it's extraordinary. For instance, this allows me to produce the Magnificat in Monteverdi's Vespers in a range of keys, with the figures accurately transposing along with the music.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The update looks wonderful as seen the links you provided, Ben. And Dorico wins the Grieg-Dvorak contest for the first GUI to do the famous beaming correctly without a workaround. Another one off my list.

I am glad they took the many comments concerning slurs seriously, but the new default slurs are still not my cup of tea, unfortunately. However the settings that FredGUnn came up with look good so that is off my list as well, I think.

All that stands in the way of my using Dorico is multiple fingerings assigned to single notes, beam thickness control on a local level, and no interval limitations for centered beaming. But perhaps the latter has already appeared, since it would seem to be so easily implemented?

When these three things are in place (Dorico 4?) I will definitely try to switch.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

Do accents still appear within the staff, even if you have the show outside the staff option selected?

Automatically, not having to do the workaround of resizing the glyph.
Composer and engraver
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

hautbois baryton wrote: 22 May 2020, 00:16 Do accents still appear within the staff, even if you have the show outside the staff option selected?
Seems to work here fine. Bugs of that sort tend to get fixed at the next update after being reported.

There is also improved XML import/export and faster overall 'performance'.