Comparing text fonts (Operatic Score)

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
Schonbergian

Re: Comparing text fonts (Operatic Score)

Post by Schonbergian »

My opinion as a thickness queen is that Carrig's thickness is fine for everything but lyrics, which naturally require thicker typefaces in order to stand out properly against the music and remain readable at small type sizes.

Have you considered Carrig for everything but lyrics and Vollkorn for lyrics?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

SantaKiwi wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 21:41 I think the thin font shouldn't be too much of an issue, especially since the singer will have to memorise the score. But, nevertheless, I agree with you re the orchestral parts and lighting,

Here's the copy of the score using Vollkorn.
Opera (pg57 - vollkorn).pdf
I still prefer the Carrig; here's a copy of it with a heavier thickness:
Opera (pg57 - carrig pro reg).pdf
Is it possible to extract that page in Finale (25) file just for testing purpose?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

Schonbergian wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 01:39 My opinion as a thickness queen is that Carrig's thickness is fine for everything but lyrics, which naturally require thicker typefaces in order to stand out properly against the music and remain readable at small type sizes.

Have you considered Carrig for everything but lyrics and Vollkorn for lyrics?
Here is the result of using Vollkorn for the lyrics:
Opera (vollkorn lyrics).pdf
(322.47 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
It should be noted that the version of Carrig being used everywhere else is Carrig-light. Here is my current best solution: Carrig-light for everything (as it has been before) but with the lyrics in Carrig-regular:
Opera (heavier carrig lyrics).pdf
(325.55 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
OCTO wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 07:43
Is it possible to extract that page in Finale (25) file just for testing purpose?
Of course! I work in Dorico, so an XML will have to do (see attached). I have given you two pages from the score so you can also work with lyrics.
Attachments
Sample (engraving) - Full score - Flow 1.xml
(806.59 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Dorico? Wow. I have just noticed that it was not Sibelius, and I believed it was Finale. I will skip than xml for testing. I enjoyed it very much. I would like to see more Dorico (complex) examples in the future.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

OCTO wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 16:57 Dorico? Wow. I have just noticed that it was not Sibelius, and I believed it was Finale. I will skip than xml for testing. I enjoyed it very much. I would like to see more Dorico (complex) examples in the future.
Thank you so much OCTO! I equally admire your engraving (especially the one of the Beethoven Sonata you posted a few weeks ago). I think I'm going to go with Carrig light and Carrig regular for lyrics. Thanks again for all the help :)
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

Just from a woodwind performance perspective, only the flute can accomplish what you are asking the winds to do.
Composer and engraver
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

hautbois baryton wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:59 Just from a woodwind performance perspective, only the flute can accomplish what you are asking the winds to do.
I checked with a Clarinettist who said it was fine? I guess we'll find out during the performance haha!
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

Dear all

Thank you massively for all your helpful advice! After spending many more months on not only font finding but also actual composing, I am now using a combination of different fonts that I am now happy with:
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8776 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

SantaKiwi wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 07:16 Dear all

Thank you massively for all your helpful advice! After spending many more months on not only font finding but also actual composing, I am now using a combination of different fonts that I am now happy with:
And what are the fonts?
Looks nice both the music and engraving.

P.s. keep in mind that the harp harmonics should be placed above the notes.
Also, a tautologic diminuendo in Vibra. It is in the parentheses but not needed at all.
Also another tautologic repetition symbol above the repetition barline. Indeed not needed.
Also also, octave symbol for contrabass, not needed.
Also also also... a diminuendo hairpin on one played note in the Harp, also not needed.
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

It's a combination of the Chiswick Superfont series and an italic font called Nantes Light.

Also, many thanks for the tautological comments! Will clean up.