Divisi question

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
MichelRE

Divisi question

Post by MichelRE »

I am of the opinion that indication of a divisi section should start slightly before the actual divisi when notes are beamed.

When the divisi itself starts on the 1st beat of a measure, or on the 2nd beat of a measure within a beamed group, it's easy to simply create a note with stems in two directions. (example 1)
divisi_example_01.png
divisi_example_01.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
but when the divisi itself starts a bit further into the measure, I prefer to STILL keep double stems going from the start of the measure, it feels more organic to me, rather than have notes suddenly going to double stems.
divisi_example_02.png
divisi_example_02.png (2.87 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Am I wrong in preferring this?

I also (obviously) prefer to have divisi clearly divided with different stem directions, rather than having desks share stems.

What I don't like is 1 or 2 beats sharing a stem, then suddenly 2 or 3 beats with individual stems. (hopefully this makes sense... I didn't create an example of what I disliked)

as an addendum, do you think the "div." text should go where the stems divide? (even if those initial notes are unison) or only put it at the moment the notes are actually different.

I look at my example and think that maybe the text marking should appear where the stems divide as well.

Or is the text even necessary? with the stems being enough of an indication that the passage is divided?

(I DO have a passage earlier on in the piece where the violins play doublestops, slurred, half notes against moving quarter notes... involving held notes on open strings. Despite the stem direction being different for the notes, I did included the text "non-div." above, as well as a bracket before the notes.)
non-divisi_example_01.png
non-divisi_example_01.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
Anders Hedelin

Re: Divisi question

Post by Anders Hedelin »

MichelRE wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 11:12 but when the divisi itself starts a bit further into the measure, I prefer to STILL keep double stems going from the start of the measure, it feels more organic to me, rather than have notes suddenly going to double stems. divisi_example_02.png
Am I wrong in preferring this?
No, you are not wrong about that. To me, though, it seems much more logical to put the "div." at the beginning of the measure (2nd example), where the divisi actually starts with the double stems. (You could look at it the other way round: why would there be double stems at all if it weren't divisi?)
Last edited by Anders Hedelin on 05 Oct 2023, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Thanks Anders, somehow, I was thinking the same thing, even if "technically" they ARE playing in unison at that point.
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I totally agree with Anders.
Composer and engraver
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Agree with Anders as well. Unison playing doesn't mean "single voice". In your case it is "two voices divided".
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

thank-you Anders, Oboe, and Octo.