MTF Fonts noteheads displaying as symbols (Finale 27)

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
WolfgangArmadillos

MTF Fonts noteheads displaying as symbols (Finale 27)

Post by WolfgangArmadillos »

Howdy folks! Longtime Finale user here, but first post on this forum. Bear with me if this is already a well-trod topic - haven't been able to find a thread addressing this specific issue.

So, I recently got a new computer (MacBook Pro, Sonoma 14.4.1) on which I'm running Finale 27.

On my old MacBook, I had purchased the MTF collection (Arnold, Beethoven, Haydn, etc.) and been using them extensively for several years.

I installed those fonts on my new MacBook. Finale recognizes them insofar as to update the look of the clefs and all the symbols when I pull them up in the library (Finale > Settings > Edit > Font Annotation).

But when I try to enter notation, the noteheads show up as ortississimo signs or other symbols. The articulation library is a war zone too. Sharps and flats show up all right though.

Feel like it's a matter of some how reassigning all these symbols, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

What's my next step?
benwiggy

Re: MTF Fonts noteheads displaying as symbols (Finale 27)

Post by benwiggy »

Remember that fonts on Finale underwent a major change to the "SMuFL" standard in 27. The expected glyph positions are all in different places.

You can create new documents using the "Legacy Defaults" template documents in the Setup Wizard, and they should work.

Abraham Lee doesn't sell his fonts anymore, and only made SMuFL versions of Cadence and Scorlatti, I think.
tisimst

Re: MTF Fonts noteheads displaying as symbols (Finale 27)

Post by tisimst »

benwiggy wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 11:05 Abraham Lee doesn't sell his fonts anymore, and only made SMuFL versions of Cadence and Scorlatti, I think.
The first part is true, but I did end up making Arnold, Beethoven, Cadence, Haydn, and Scorlatti all SMuFL compliant and publicly available for a time. I had intended to do many others, but life sadly forced me to go in a different direction.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge