a violin open string/specified tring question

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
MichelRE

a violin open string/specified tring question

Post by MichelRE »

do I trust the violinist to play the open string E in this example, without including any notation to that effect?
or is there a more efficient way of engraving this?
the upper G and G# in the image below are played on the A string, while the E is simply an open string.
I don't want the violinist to finger a 3rd (G and G# on the E string, and the E on the A string).

I've marked the open string and specific string here, but it's only to clarify my question. this is not what I'd like in the score (honestly, it looks like crap like this).
Attachments
open string.png
open string.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
MalteM

Re: a violin open string/specified tring question

Post by MalteM »

I find the mixture of string number (II) and finger number (0) confusing, so how about two string numbers instead? Also, these numbers don’t have to be that cramped I think. And maybe you could make the crossing clearer by using different stem directions?
Attachments
crossed_strings.png
crossed_strings.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

yes! thank-you, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. separating into two voices with stems in opposite directions makes it quite clear.
I removed the string numbers and replaced with fingerings for the doublestops (2 / 0). It's clearer and less busy now.
Attachments
doublestop_fingering.png
doublestop_fingering.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 21:30 do I trust the violinist to play the open string E in this example, without including any notation to that effect?
or is there a more efficient way of engraving this?
the upper G and G# in the image below are played on the A string, while the E is simply an open string.
I don't want the violinist to finger a 3rd (G and G# on the E string, and the E on the A string).

I've marked the open string and specific string here, but it's only to clarify my question. this is not what I'd like in the score (honestly, it looks like crap like this).
As a violinist and composer: I would like to see just fingering (in this case 4/0, since the octave G(#) - G(#) is played 1-4), and no double voicing, it just makes more trouble without actually understanding the second voice. So, as your first example and jut put 4 and 0.
Of course, you can play the octave 1-2 (as in your last example), it will be more like romantic playing from '50s with portamento.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Octo, yes I DO want a bit of portamento there (the suggestion for the fingering came from a violinist who knows my rather "romantic" side in my writing).

so you wouldn't want the different voices for that 3rd?
ok, I'll go with your suggestion.
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Out of curiosity, would you place the fingerings inside the slur? or outside?

Something looks a bit wonky to me when the fingering is inside the slur. My instinct would be to put it above the slur.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yes, I would use one voicing.
The fingering is up to you - but don't sacrifice the slur's shape. Maybe 2 above the slur and 0 below the notehead placed on the staff, both centered.
Or above both, outside of the slur.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

This is exactly the situation in which it is difficult to place the fingering within the slur: a big jump at the beginning or end of a slur.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

thank-you very much guys.
By placing both fingerings above the staff I was able to have a pleasing curve to the slur, and keep the fingerings relatively close to the notes, so a winning situation all around.