Commentary on crowded page

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
hautbois baryton

Commentary on crowded page

Post by hautbois baryton »

Hi folks,

In my work Three Divertimenti for Oboe and Orchestra I have the following (attached) page of score.

I tried my best at getting everything to fit to the page (11" x 14"), but it's still very dense. Does anyone have suggestions or other commentary to provide?

Thanks!
Attachments
Three_Divertimenti_for_Oboe_and_Orchestra-mvmt2_pg48.pdf
A page from the second movement of my work Three Divertimenti for Oboe and Orchestra (2008).
(96.61 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Composer and engraver
David Ward

Re: Commentary on crowded page

Post by David Ward »

To me it does not look too dense.

However, I don't work with US paper sizes, so I may be misjudging.

FWIW, at a quick trial it is nearly the same width on my MacBook screen as a B4 page, and is easily legible on that screen. I've certainly seen more dense full scores. The 3 x divided violins are perhaps the least easy to read with instant clarity.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I agree with David Ward. It is certainly OK as it is, but if anything, it's a bit spread compared with many scores one sees. You might be able to get one more measure on that page. The space between the accidentals in the violin parts could be reduced by changing the settings under Document settings>Accidentals>Space between accidentals on note, if you are using Finale. They also look spread and that has some impact on the overall density.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Here is illustration of an extraordinarily packed page:
viewtopic.php?p=218
Your page is not dense at all. ;)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
swetom2011

Post by swetom2011 »

I'm in no way am experienced engraver, but my immediate impression is not too dense rather stretched in horizontal sense.