Dorico 5.1.30 update

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Dorico 5.1.30 update

Post by benwiggy »

Another little update to Dorico 5.1, which fixes a variety of bugs, and as usual adds some welcome new features and interface improvements.
  • Codas and Breaks have a property to hide the systemic barline. You can also set the indent for a given Coda. Together, these are really useful for things like creating incipits in Early Music.
  • Staff Labels on condensed instruments can show a range, e.g. Trumpet 1-4.
  • End-start repeats are now combined more effectively.
  • Lyrics on Condensed staves, cues and percussion can now be vertically adjusted.
  • Fermatas can appear in slash regions.
  • Other improvements to Rehearsal Marks, Instruments Change labels, Timecode Markers, Percussion, and more.
  • Dorico Elements and SE now show the menu commands that they lack, with a padlock, so you can see what features you would gain by upgrading.
https://blog.dorico.com/2024/04/dorico- ... available/
John Ruggero

Re: Dorico 5.1.30 update

Post by John Ruggero »

I was amazed to see that my suggestion regarding input of repeat marks at the end of one system and the beginning of the next had been implemented in the recent update, exactly 28 days after the initial post. What a team! What software!

"Systemic barline" sounds strange and somewhat medical or sociological to me. But I read that is an accepted musical usage, at least online. "System barline" sounds more familiar and natural to me.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Yes, I similarly made two posts about problems that were addressed within a week -- Selecting the whole Flow and Resetting Appearance/Position is much faster; and a bug affecting Elision slurs on lyrics was fixed.

If you use the SE or Elements version, and click on the "padlocked" menu commands that are not available, you get an dialog telling you that you need to purchase the next version up -- and this has provoked some internet fury as 'unacceptable marketing'. :roll:
JJP

Post by JJP »

benwiggy wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 08:06 If you use the SE or Elements version, and click on the "padlocked" menu commands that are not available, you get an dialog telling you that you need to purchase the next version up -- and this has provoked some internet fury as 'unacceptable marketing'. :roll:
I thought that was rather courteous. Show people exactly what they have purchased and what else is available to see if upgrading is necessary for their needs.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

benwiggy wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 08:06 and this has provoked some internet fury as 'unacceptable marketing'. :roll:
there will be internet fury at anything.
even when the iPad version is free, there will always be people who expect that version to do everything the full paid-for version does.