An age old engraving problem

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Wescott

An age old engraving problem

Post by Wescott »

The age old engraving ugliness of staff lines running through beams. I hate it, and it can't always be avoided. Is there anyone here besides me who prefer to see them erased by the notation software when need be. The top example is the usual, and the bottom erases the staff line.

With Staff Line.jpg
With Staff Line.jpg (9.85 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Hidden Staff Line.jpg
Attachments
Hidden Staff Line.jpg
Hidden Staff Line.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 265 times
tisimst

Re: An age old engraving problem

Post by tisimst »

Agreed. This is an ugly issue with a number of solutions, but nice-looking erasure of the background feels so good to me. This isn’t available in any software I’m aware of at the moment, but it is possible with some custom functionality in LilyPond. I’ve used it myself.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

We did briefly discuss this in this thread a few years ago. I'm not sure there's been any development with any of the major software though. I would certainly be curious to see some results if one of them wanted to offer it as an option.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

And here's a post I did on a separate topic that is related to your query:

viewtopic.php?p=10221#p10221
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Wescott

Post by Wescott »

tisimst wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 02:01 And here's a post I did on a separate topic that is related to your query:

Thanks! Will check it out.
Wescott

Post by Wescott »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 01:15 We did briefly discuss this in this thread a few years ago. I'm not sure there's been any development with any of the major software though. I would certainly be curious to see some results if one of them wanted to offer it as an option.
Thanks! Will check it out!
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

tisimst wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 02:01 And here's a post I did on a separate topic that is related to your query:

Ah, that's the thread I was remembering!

I just posted the following image over on the Dorico forum too:
masking.png
masking.png (138.59 KiB) Viewed 191 times
I find this subject pretty interesting. It obviously was not very time efficient with hand engraving, but there's no reason (other than programming resources) that a computer couldn't easily handle this.