Augmentation dots

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
Felipe Copaja

Augmentation dots

Post by Felipe Copaja »

Hello, just wondering if the augmentation dots in the upper staff are ok with the default Finale placement, or I should move them to the left, and extend the tie as well. What do you think?

Felipe
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2024-05-04 a la(s) 11.54.19.png
Captura de pantalla 2024-05-04 a la(s) 11.54.19.png (2.73 MiB) Viewed 297 times
John Ruggero

Re: Augmentation dots

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that it may be a matter of taste, since I have seen this done both ways.

But I would move them in. Dorico does this by default. And I would bring all the ties to the noteheads, threading them through and under the augmentation dots.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Wescott

Post by Wescott »

Whatever else you do I think you need to get those wayward dots in the treble to vertically align with the lefthand dots. Check Gould page 64 for tie options.
You can check out the first installment of my Orchestration In Depth series here:
https://books.apple.com/us/book/orchest ... 6502035004

Post by OCTO »

Felipe Copaja wrote: 04 May 2024, 16:01 Hello, just wondering if the augmentation dots in the upper staff are ok with the default Finale placement, or I should move them to the left, and extend the tie as well. What do you think?

Felipe
I see your noteheads not touching in thirds. That is not rule per se, but too small noteheads appear detached from each other, and thus it slightly increases the perception speed. When noteheads are connected in thirds (touching each other) they are seen as one object.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

I would move the two top dots do the left, vertically aligned with LH dots, but I would keep the ties starting after the dots for all internal notes.
There is too much a risk for collision.