Enharmonic symbol

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
benwiggy

Enharmonic symbol

Post by benwiggy »

I'm working on a (choral) piece that has a huge number of enharmonic changes, such as:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 330682 times
They are occur frequently throughout the score, and the music is quite closely spaced. There are lyrics below, and a lot of dynamics above.

I'm wondering how I might indicate the enharmonic changes in some way. The usual method of small bracketed noteheads will just make matters worse, I think.

I was thinking of possibly bracketing the whole note.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 330682 times
Other options would be some sort of symbol above the note, I suppose. Or perhaps a line from one note to the other?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 330679 times
(You can't gliss to the same note! :lol: )

Actually, I quite like the line, though I suppose the angle does suggest "down". Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Fred G. Unn

Re: Enharmonic symbol

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Bracketing the note often means to tacet or "ghost" it, so I wouldn't be inclined to use that. Gould shows a bracketed cue-sized stemless notehead on page 437 if you like that style.
JJP

Post by JJP »

My first reaction was the same as Fred’s. Both proposed solutions create more questions than answers because of their contradictions. I find this is one of those situations where there is no good solution, so it’s best to keep it simple and clear.

Once you recognize the enharmonic, the line is very singable as originally written; however, I fully accept that’s not ideal for sight-reading. It’s simply the clearest from several bad options.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 18:10 Bracketing the note often means to tacet or "ghost" it, so I wouldn't be inclined to use that. Gould shows a bracketed cue-sized stemless notehead on page 437 if you like that style.
Yes, that's the usual convention, but as said, adding little noteheads everywhere is going to confuse just as much; and there's not much space.

What about this?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (13.48 KiB) Viewed 330639 times
I guarantee that everyone will mark something in to indicate this!
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Perhaps an equal sign as a Line?
equal.png
equal.png (44.2 KiB) Viewed 330633 times
Might be confused for some type of tremolo though.
JJP

Post by JJP »

benwiggy wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 18:52 Yes, that's the usual convention, but as said, adding little noteheads everywhere is going to confuse just as much; and there's not much space.

What about this?

Screenshot.png

I guarantee that everyone will mark something in to indicate this!
That's not too bad!

However, I'm always worried that something like this will cause a hand to go up at rehearsal. Text "enharmonic" or "enharm." may clarify better than "=", but space and clutter are indeed an issue.

@Fred G. Unn I think you're right about the angled "=" being confused with a tremolo. Seeing that makes me question what is intended.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I wouldn't invent anything. Home grown notations are rarely advisable. Better to go with Gould:
Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 9.00.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 9.00.30 PM.png (27.32 KiB) Viewed 330609 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Yes, but as said, in a closely packed texture, I think that's going to add clutter and confusion.

It's a beautiful piece of German Romanticism, but the notation is absolutely bonkers. 5 flats, but riddled with sharps, seemingly to make intervals more obvious, rather than 'vertical' harmonic reasons. I'm actually thinking about re-spelling the whole thing....
JJP

Post by JJP »

benwiggy wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 07:55 I'm actually thinking about re-spelling the whole thing....
If that’s an option it’s probably the best way to go.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Would you want to share more about this piece? Composer, a URL if available online, or an excerpt, if not?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com