Finale Maestro Wide font now part of Finale Maestro

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
JJP

Finale Maestro Wide font now part of Finale Maestro

Post by JJP »

-------------
EDIT: This issue has been resolved. Finale's Maestro Wide font was indeed incorporated into Finale Maestro.
--------------
I’ve been informed by MakeMusic that the Finale Maestro Wide font will not be receiving a SMuFL update. The font can still be used, but can not be designated as a default music font anymore which creates all kinds of workflow issues.

This is particularly disappointing to me as I’ve used Maestro Wide as the default notation font for my template for about the last 15 years. We’ve tweaked the notehead sizes and spacings to get everything just right, and performers love to read our parts because the notes jump off the page. This all came from years of doing live TV where lighting is often variable and there are sometimes no rehearsals. Sometimes it’s one run-through and then live on-air, so the performers truly appreciate parts with great clarity.

The tech at MM recommended simply enlarging the noteheads of the new SMuFL Maestro font, but I explained that what made Maestro Wide work was the fact that the noteheads were wider without a proportional increase in height. Unfortunately, they just apologized and said there were no plans to create a SMuFL version.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a SMuFL font equivalent to Maestro Wide?
Last edited by JJP on 05 Apr 2022, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
tisimst

Re: Finale Maestro Wide font discontinued

Post by tisimst »

Have MM contact me. I’ll do it for them lol.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
teacue

Post by teacue »

JJP wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 21:01 Does anyone have a recommendation for a SMuFL font equivalent to Maestro Wide?
Probably not the answer you expect, but well.
For your information and for what it's worth!

I recall that the differences between Maestro and Maestro Wide are very small.
To my knowledge only the three noteheads (for whole note, half note and quarter note) as well as the eight individual notes (eight note, half note, quarter note and sixteenth note up and down) are different between Maestro and Maestro Wide.

I also remember that some years ago as I created my own SMUFL fonts, I first converted Maestro to SMUFL.
Then I had only to change the three noteheads accordingly and was done in order to get a working SMUFL version of Maestro Wide (for my needs I did not care about the individual notes).

What I intend to say is that it is not really a lot of work (only 11 glyphs) to get a Maestro Wide SMUFL version from the Maestro SMUFL version.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I'd be happy to knock up a "Finale Maestro Wide" font. There's a bit more to it than just copying in the glyphs, as the metadata for stem connections, etc, needs to be adjusted.

Dorico offers a variety alternate notehead sets that can be selected in the app, and this includes Default and Large Noteheads. Confusingly, the Larger notehead set is always Bravura (no matter what the Music Font), using alternate glyphs from those in the SMuFL standard.

Finale doesn't offer any such 'sets', of course, so if you want a global change, you have to manually change each notehead type in Document Options; and if you want local changes, you have to change each one.
NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

You don't need a SMuFL version of Maestro Wide, just use the SMuFL version: Finale Maestro bundled with Finale v27, then if you need to change the note-heads, select them through Noteheads Set.. / Default Noteheads... /and grab the wide notes from Maestro Wide. Not sure if Finale v27 still installs Maestro Wide font, but you can pick it from here:

https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Maestro-Wide-Regular

Ben's idea is better indeed!
benwiggy wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 09:47
Dorico offers a variety alternate notehead sets that can be selected in the app, and this includes Default and Large Noteheads. Confusingly, the Larger notehead set is always Bravura (no matter what the Music Font), using alternate glyphs from those in the SMuFL standard.

Last edited by NorFonts on 02 Apr 2022, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

NorFonts wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 08:32 You do't need a SMuFL version of Maestro Wide, just use the SMuFL version: Finale Maestro bundled with Finale v27, then if you need to change the note-heads, select them through Noteheads Set.. / Default Noteheads... /and grab the wide notes from Maestro Wide. Not sure if Finale v27 still installs Maestro Wide font, but you can pick it from here:
Ah: yes, you can change the Notehead Font to Maestro Wide in Document Options > Fonts, even in a SMuFL document, and then set the appropriate characters in Document Options > Notes & Rests.

However, mixing non-SMuFL and SMuFL may have unforeseen problems.
JJP

Post by JJP »

Thank you everyone for your feedback. With everyone's input and a bit of research, I now understand that the Maestro Wide characters have been incorporated into the Finale Maestro SMuFL font. It's really a matter of finding the necessary characters and re-assigning them in my template.

That's tedious, but workable. I'll be disappearing into the bowels of Finale for a while.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

JJP wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 19:14 ....I now understand that the Maestro Wide characters have been incorporated into the Finale Maestro SMuFL font. ...
Ah! yes, I just noticed that :-D. Glad to hear that you figured it out ;-)
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
JJP

Post by JJP »

HOWEVER... It appears the Maestro Wide notehead characters are not in the new font as far as I can see.

The answer for now appears to be setting the default font to Finale Maestro and choosing the new character locations for anything that is now pointing to the wrong character. Then setting the notehead fonts back to Maestro Wide and selecting the appropriate notehead characters.

From my initial testing, this seems to work well. I'll update if I learn more.

I also sent a note to MakeMusic asking if we can get the Maestro Wide hotheads added as extras to the Finale Maestro font.

Similarly, is there a font map anywhere for Finale Maestro? I haven't been able to find one. That would be a handy reference. The search function within the font window is good, but if you don't know the title or categorization of certain glyphs, there can be a lot of scrolling.

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

JJP wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 22:54 Similarly, is there a font map anywhere for Finale Maestro? I haven't been able to find one. That would be a handy reference. The search function within the font window is good, but if you don't know the title or categorization of certain glyphs, there can be a lot of scrolling.
Well, most of them will follow the SMuFL standard:

https://www.w3.org/2019/03/smufl13/tabl ... iders.html

But there are also lots "beyond SMuFL" (from U+F400 onwards), which are alternates and additional forms. E.g. Maestro uses a single glyph for accidentals in brackets, which isn't in the standard.