unis/div question

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
swetom2011

Re: unis/div question

Post by swetom2011 »

Maybe I've to clarify myself. What I'm addressing here is the score layout but this is not what the various instruments will get because they get they own instrument part only.

As I said above, it's not really affecting wood and brass because they are mostly "on there own". However, for strings, it's a different story. Here, divisi is not uncommon and then I try to follow what I said in my previous posting
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 12:22 ;) ok, a question for you 2nd desk violinists

let's say that the passage in question doesn't start on that single note. it's immediately preceded by a musical line with no divisi. that initial D is basically the last note of non-divisi playing for the strings.

would you still rather see that unison D with two stems and the div. indication?

I can understand a passage that just starts point blank, with a single note, then suddenly into a divisi, there being a question of "is that first note ONLY 1st desks?"
I would go with my intuition. If the last phrase finishes on D, and then you have divisi, I would finish the phrase on one single note D and start div. from the second beat with two voices.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

swetom2011 wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 17:32 I have such cases in a piece I'm currently engraving, see below.

UnisonoDivisi.jpg

It starts with a divisi but for one single quarter note, both play the same. In this case, I put a2 above to remove any doubt. In fact I didn't do it, it's default in Lilypond.
I would put two noteheads in unison, as it is the most simple to read and straightforward engagement.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

OCTO wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 18:36 I would put two noteheads in unison, as it is the most simple to read and straightforward engagement.
It's incredible that I keep forgetting about this absolutely simple and perfectly clear solution for a single note unison in a divisi line.

thanks Octo.